÷÷÷Ko÷÷÷
apex
Def!led
StarWarsGeek
Cid88
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Steam Virus spreading around via chat message Empty Steam Virus spreading around via chat message

Post by Cid88 2014-12-12, 12:48 am

Hey Everyone,

Looks like there's a virus spreading via steam. It sends a link to an apparent image host with a message like "haha lol". If you're friends with mb2ers there's a strong chance you'll get this message, as I can confirm 3 mb2ers I know have been infected (and it looks like Sxx spread a lot of it initially).

It goes without saying but don't click the link. The virus appears to install itself and propagate automatically to all of your friends via steam chat. I don't know what else it does - there could be key logging or your machine could turn into a zombie in a botnet.

If you are affected, I'd recommend disconnecting the computer and shutting it off. Change your steam credentials from another web-capable device, like your phone; depending on the sophistication of the virus it may not be a bad idea to change any passwords you stored on your machine or typed in after being affected, as well as any that share the same password as your steam account.

I'd recommend booting from a live linux cd and copying the files off to another device, followed by a re-install of the operating system. There's a chance your av could catch it, but I've seen these things get somewhat nasty before so you might as well just salt the earth.
Cid88
Cid88
Red Blue Best Clan

Back to top Go down

Steam Virus spreading around via chat message Empty Re: Steam Virus spreading around via chat message

Post by StarWarsGeek 2014-12-12, 3:19 am

Apparently this sort of file started spreading around mid November and is making the rounds again. Make sure you've got visible file extensions enabled and don't run any .scr files. If you end up downloading it but not running it you should be fine. Whoever is spreading it is trying to pass off an .scr as an image/screenshot file. The link that Apex-bot sent me shows up in the address bar as a .png, but once downloaded is a .scr.

StarWarsGeek
Server Admin

Back to top Go down

Steam Virus spreading around via chat message Empty Re: Steam Virus spreading around via chat message

Post by Def!led 2014-12-12, 3:48 am

Yeah Txx or Sxx sent a link to me and it tried to open or save and I was like.. Yeah I don't fucking think so.
Def!led
Def!led
l33t du3l1st

Back to top Go down

Post by apex 2014-12-12, 4:42 am

fuckin sxx infected me
apex
apex
The Dark Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by ÷÷÷Ko÷÷÷ 2014-12-12, 6:52 pm

Won't work on my comp. It'd probably infect the virus.
÷÷÷Ko÷÷÷
÷÷÷Ko÷÷÷
Ðivine Member

Back to top Go down

Post by WorstMB2PlayerInTheWorld 2014-12-13, 2:00 am

fuckin apex infected me
WorstMB2PlayerInTheWorld
WorstMB2PlayerInTheWorld
Ðivine Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Def!led 2014-12-13, 9:07 am

How do you know if you're infected? I clicked the link but didn't open/save the file.
Def!led
Def!led
l33t du3l1st

Back to top Go down

Post by technerd89 2014-12-13, 1:53 pm

I dont really have any of you on steam, but those of you that I do if my account suddenly starts attempting to spread it, give me a shout. Apex I was smart enough to not download it from yours.

Here is a little bit more info that I have found on it, so far its looking like it is an identifiable virus to most antivirus software. Those of you that have it should definitely run full scans of your machine (not just the quick scans) and secure your steam account info. Chances are this is acquiring your account info and sending it elsewhere for the messages to be sent by bots.

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2014/11/rogue-scr-file-links-circulating-in-steam-chat/

http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2014/11/remove-steam-messages-virus-malicious.html
technerd89
technerd89
Ðivine Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorito 2014-12-14, 2:50 am

lmao. i refreshed the page, determined to see whatever it was Apex was trying to show me, but it never loaded.

how do i know if i have it?
Dorito
Dorito
Server Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by technerd89 2014-12-14, 2:56 am

Easiest way to know is when your steam friends suddenly start asking you why you're trying to send them a file lol
technerd89
technerd89
Ðivine Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next